Kiwifruits are harvested during the months of August to November. Kiwi is not a big fruit. It weighs around 4 ounces. Its fleshy part is creamy and has an invigorating flavor.
When you are buying kiwifruits check whether they are ripe enough. The outer part should be rough but it should yield to some gentle pressure. Avoid the fruits that have stains or cuts on them.
If you are purchasing raw kiwi fruits, you can store them along with bananas in order to ripen them quickly. Kiwifruits would remain fresh in room temperature for around 4 to 5 days. However, if they are fully ripe then they won’t last so long. Ripe fruits should be kept in the refrigerator. If you want the fruits to last for 5 to 6 months then wrap them in plastic bags that are perforated for ventilation. You can also get frozen kiwi, if you store it using ascorbic acid and sugar syrup. For making frozen kiwi, you should peel off its skin and store them in freezer. Frozen kiwi would remain fresh for 7 to 8 months.
You should eat the kiwifruit after washing and peeling it nicely. However, the skin is considered to be an edible part that contains lots of fiber and nutrients. The inner fleshy part is quite smooth and it can be scooped out with a spoon. Alternatively, you can slice the fruit into pieces before serving. Once you peel the fruit, it should be taken without much delay. If you leave the fruit for too long it would become quite soft and watery. For this reason, if you are adding kiwi to salads, then add it just before serving.
Health Benefits Of Kiwi:
- Fights Against Free Radicals: Kiwi contains Vitamin C which fights the free radicals and protects our body and skin from various diseases. Free radicals increase the risk of cancer and it also causes aging signs. Vitamin C neutralizes these free radicals and renders them useless.
- Collagen Production: Vitamin C results in more collage formation. This makes the skin more elastic. Elasticity keeps the skin tight and intact. Thus kiwifruit prevents sagging of the skin.
- Pre-Biotic Properties: Kiwi acts as a pre-biotic agent that nourishes the body and promotes easy digestion.
- Weight Management: Kiwi contains lots of dietary fiber that promotes fullness. Kiwi is also a low-calorie fruit and hence it is best for people who are on a weight-loss regiment.
- Prevents Asthma: Kiwi fruit can reduce the chances of getting asthma.
- Pre-Natal Nutrition: Kiwifruit is good for pregnant women. The fruit contains certain ingredients that help in transferring the nutrients and vitamins from the mother to the child. This makes the baby healthy and well-nourished.
- Regulates Diabetes: Kiwifruit has a low glycemic index. Hence, it is beneficial for diabetic people. Kiwi supplements are also recommended in this case.
- Reduces Eye Disorders: Kiwifruit is helpful in reducing the instances of eye disorders caused due to muscular degeneration.
- Anti-Oxidants: Kiwifruit contains lots of anti-oxidants that help our body in cell re-building.
- Fiber Boost: Kiwifruit contains lots of dietary fiber. This helps in cleansing our system by promoting digestion.